Many people think of exercise as something you only do to get in shape or lose weight. While that’s undoubtedly part of the benefits, exercise is not just about appearances.
Exercise is truly essential for long-term health and wellness. It’s one of the most important things we can do for ourselves, and it doesn’t need to be complicated or stressful.
Incorporating a little bit of exercise into our everyday activities can go a long way in keeping us healthy and happy.
Here are six tips for incorporating exercise into your everyday routine:
1. Make time for it. It’s important to schedule time for exercise just like you would any other appointment. Pencil it on your calendar, and treat it like any other commitment.
2. Walk whenever you can. When the weather is nice, try walking instead of driving or taking public transportation. Park further away from your destination. Take the stairs instead of the elevator, walk your dog, or walk with your spouse while talking about your day.
3. Get up and move. When you’re at work, watching TV, or sitting for any time, stand up and move around every hour. Walk around the room, do some stretching, or even do simple exercises. Keep your body active and moving whenever possible.
4. Dance! Music makes us happy, so create a playlist of your favorite songs and dance around the house whenever you can. Turn on the radio during chores or while cooking dinner for motivation to move your body more throughout the day.
4. Add in some strength training. Strength training doesn’t need to be exhausting, complicated, or time-consuming. You can do simple exercises like squats, lunges, and push-ups at home with no equipment needed.
5. Find an activity you enjoy. Don’t force yourself to do something that makes you miserable – that’s not going to be sustainable in the long run. Find an activity you genuinely enjoy and look forward to doing, whether it’s swimming, biking, running, playing a sport, or even sex. You’re more likely to stick with it when you’re enjoying yourself.
6. Make it social. Exercise is more fun and exciting when you do it with friends. Go to an exercise or dance class, play a sport with friends, or go for a bike ride together. The more you socialize throughout the day, the happier you will be – and that happiness is good for your health too!
The benefits of exercise are well-known, but many people struggle to find time for it in their day. It’s important to consider the effects that not exercising can have on your health and happiness. Making a few minor changes in your everyday routine can go a long way in getting you moving more and improving your overall health. So get up, get active, and have some fun!