When it comes to health and well-being, there’s no one-size-fits-all solution. What works for others might not work for you, and what works today might not work tomorrow.
That’s why it’s essential to have a unique toolkit of resources at your disposal to mix, match, and experiment until you find what works best for you today.
And with so many fantastic health apps on the market, there’s no excuse not to have a few at your fingertips.
Tips For Finding The Right Health Apps For You
There are a few things to keep in mind when you’re trying out new apps and programs:
- Start with your goals: Take a step back and consider what you want to achieve. Search for apps that will help you reach those goals.
- Actionable Information: An app that provides information is only helpful if it’s actionable. Make sure the app you choose gives you specific things you can do to improve your health.
- Customizable: Since we’re all unique, you must find an app that you can tailor to your specific needs and priorities.
- Interactive and Engaging: The best health apps are the ones that you’ll actually use. If it’s too complicated or boring, you’ll probably not stick with it.
- Acceptable Price: Some apps are free, while others come with a subscription fee or an initial cost. Choose what’s right for you and your budget.
Best Nutrition App: Fooducate
Fooducate describes itself as “…your healthy diet toolbox.”
It helps you track your eating habits and provides personalized feedback and recommendations.
The app also gives you access to a huge database of foods, so you can make informed choices about what you’re eating—simply scan the barcode of any food product, and Fooducate will give you a personalized nutrition grade (A, B, C, or D).
Best Mental Health App: Headspace
Adding mindfulness meditation into your daily routine can help relieve stress, boost your overall mood and well-being, improve your sleep quality, and even improve your physical health.
Headspace offers a variety of guided meditations, including sessions on topics like anxiety, stress, focus, performance, and sleep. You can work your way through their various courses at your own pace, and the app also provides helpful tips and articles on meditation and mindfulness.
Best Exercise App: Wakeout
Wakeout is an app that helps you incorporate fun mini-exercises into your day. The app provides a library of over 300 exercises that you can do in just 30 seconds, no matter where you are.
Without needing to go to the gym or set aside a large chunk of time, you can easily fit these exercises into your day while sitting on the sofa watching TV or even at your desk at work.
An App To Connect You With Your Doctor
Many mobile apps can help you connect directly with your doctor or healthcare provider.
MyChart is one that many health providers use, which allows you to view test results, refill prescriptions, message your doctor, and more.
Check with your primary care physician or specialist to see if they have their own app that they use or recommend for accessing your health information. With this connection close at hand, you can easily get the personalized answers and support you need to make informed decisions about your health—whenever and wherever you need it.